For our second Krewe de Fu ball, the theme revolved around anime, and I wanted to put together a costume of San from Princess Mononoke. While he wasn’t obligated to, my wonderful husbad agreed to wear a Prince Ashitaka costume and match me, which was amazing of him! BAM! Couples costume. (see this separate post for info on the San costume) Ultimately, due to family events, we weren’t able to attend the Ball (sad face), so instead we wore them for Halloween later in the year instead.
As I mentioned in my primary post for San from Princess Mononoke, this was by far the most craft-intensive, DIY-heavy costume I’ve undertaken thus far, and it was SO FUN. I didn’t do anything that was super complicated, I stuck to relatively simple methods and materials, nothing fancy, nothing that was a new technique. No Worbla, no dying unfamiliar fabrics, no buying fancy new tools. Tried and true crafting, like when we were kids: papier mache, craft foam & glue, stringing beads, acrylic paint, safety pins, needle & thread, those kinds of things. There were several things I needed to make, so I was conservative with the techniques in the interest of time and sanity. There would be time later to learn new things, but for my first DIY costume, I felt I needed to start simple. And it WORKED. Here’s a breakdown of all the DIY pieces and how I made them.
First, the necklaces! San wears two, the “tooth” necklace and the blue crystal one that Ashitaka gives her. Here’s a screen cap of what they look like in the movie.
Tooth & Bead Necklace
- Wild Boar Teeth
- Faux Lava Stone Beads
- Necklace Kit w/Lobster Clasp
Because what guy doesn’t want to be Indiana Jones at least once? My fiance and I decided to go the Temple of Doom route for Halloween this year, dressing as Indy and his sassy companion Willie Scott. It’s a fun couples costume, and with Willie’s blonde hair I wouldn’t have to wear a wig, which is always a plus in my book!
Part 1: The Characters
Part 2: Sources of Info & Inspiration
I knew it would be nearly impossible to find and purchase a dress that matched Willie’s exactly, so I gave up hope on that right away since I wasn’t going for super duper accuracy, just a fun Halloween costume. For those of you looking for a more screen-accurate dress, I found several great resources for that, including these:
- This thread has screen stills and detailed drawings of elements of the whole outfit. http://raven.theraider.net/showthread.php?t=21635
- This is a gorgeous cosplay of Willie & Indy that inspired me: http://gratzindustries.blogspot.com/2009/09/dragoncon-2009-pics-part-two.html
- For the hair ribbon, I followed these directions exactly! I think I even got the exact same wired ribbon! http://nerdinthecity.wordpress.com/tag/willie-scott/
For our second Krewe de Fu ball, the theme revolved around anime. I’m lacking in knowledge about most anime, and didn’t want to just do some kind of generic anime-looking character, so I went with a character I knew and loved, from the only real area of anime I’m familiar with, the Miyazaki movies. I tossed around a few different character ideas, and ultimately went with San from Princess Mononoke, in part because our Krewe de Fu Ball is a masked event, and San wears a mask – an AWESOME mask – for parts of the film. I convinced Seann to go as Prince Ashitaka with me, so BAM! Couples costume. (see this separate post for info on the Ashitaka costume) Ultimately, due to family events, we weren’t able to attend the Ball (sad face), so instead we wore them for Halloween later in the year instead.
Part 1: The Character
Part 2: Sources of Info & Inspiration
Once again, my absolute BEST resources are others who have thread this path before me. Some great ones to check out:
- Meagan Marie’s Cosplay Feature
- Wilkoak on deviantART
- Rotten Usagi
- Chachamaru-san on deviantART
- goddessnaya on deviantART
Part 3: Piecing Together
The challenge of this costume is that I knew I needed to make or cobble together nearly everything. I wouldn’t be able to purchase most of the items and have them work without modification. This is a much craftier effort than I’ve made for other costumes. Ok, so the best way to organize this is to break it into components: 1) the clothes; 2) the accessories: jewelry & props; 3) the MASK. Please note that at the moment I can’t find all of my receipts, so I’m guessing on some of these costs as best I can remember. I know I kept them, so I will search and do an update on the actuals when I find them.
Also see my separate post on all the DIY elements of this costume for a more detailed breakdown of how I made everything. Continue reading