Part 6: UPDATE!
This is seriously one of my favorite costumes to wear. I used it for the Krewe du Who’s second set of Collector Cards in 2013, which was again GREAT fun, and I’ve worn it for Wizard World ComicCon and other events since then.
Since all of that I’ve been working diligently to upgrade this costume. I found an ALT color of the Topshop Moto jacket on eBay that I started to color strip, but then my compulsive eBay habit paid off and I got SUPER lucky and snagged the SA jacket this past March (2015) on eBay UK. I also found an old replica of the dress that OddTogs was selling on eBay back in October, in roughly my size, so I grabbed that, too! It needs some work, since it’s an old version and she hadn’t perfected the sequin methods yet, plus I need to take it in a size and bring up the hem (since I’m a shorty). It was $157, but TOTALLY worth it, since it’s a corseted dress and the pleats and fabric are gorgeous and I love it and I would NEVER be able to make this on my own!
So since I got those two pieces I’ve sold the WHOLE outfit from the previous post, except for the sunglasses (they’re a lighter pink, so they match the new dress), to another Rose cosplayer. Dress, jacket, headband, shoes, pin, and ring ALL sold. I kept the lunchbox of course (because it’s AWESOME), and the fishnets, which are SO worn out I need to throw them out anyway. Plus they’re thigh highs, which I hate anyway, so I bought a new pair of normal fishnets on Amazon for $13.80.
I also needed to replace my ring and my brooch, then. Aiming to go MUCH more SA this time, I did a LOT of searching. I found both on Etsy (seriously, that site is AMAZING for cosplay items that are hard to find). The ring I found is a polymer clay adjustable statement ring, which actually cost me close to $27 (because of shipping from Australia, basically), but I had been searching for a ring since I found the dress and could NOT find something, so FINE. I bought it. For the brooch, which is supposedly a mother-of-pearl brooch, I was again having a hard time. I found a pink MOP flower-shaped “pendant” in the right size on Etsy for $12.49, and I’m working on adding the pin back and a small detail to the center to cover the hole (and attach it through to the pin back). Another Rose cosplayer recently found this pin on eBay, which is a nice find, for about $12 also.
I also needed new earrings. I re-watched the episode on my computer and took some screen captures for closeups of the earrings, and did a LOT of Internet searches. After WAY too much time, I found a note somewhere saying that they were Mickey of London earrings. I can NOT find that link anymore, though I thought I had Pinned it for sure. 😦 Anyway… I set up an eBay search for earrings with those parameters, and HOLY CRAP I found some not a week later (see photos for comparison – they seem like they are pretty close?), they cost me $21.46 including shipping from the UK. Anyway… Crafty TARDIS has done a DIY version that is really really cute and her instructions are great, she wrote them so they can be duplicated by others. The screen caps here are hers, too.
As of June 2015 I’m still working on two last items for this upgrade: the headband and the shoes. My dress is getting altered in a couple of weeks, so I plan to use a piece of the material from the hem to make the headband myself. My plan for the shoes is to scour thrift stores (including my favorite Red White & Blue) for a nice pair of peep toe heels and make my own DIY version, since the Agent Provocateur “Jessica” SA heels are made of unobtanium and there are some GREAT DIY tutorials out there.
The only other things I need to do is spruce up the bodice of the dress a bit. The replica I found is gorgeous, but it’s used, so it has some signs of wear, and the sequins were glued to the bodice instead of being sewn on, so after being worn and rubbing against the inside of the jacket (I’m assuming), many of them have worn off and are missing, leaving the bodice of the dress a bit bare of sequins in parts. Not a big deal, but it needs addressing. My plan to fix this is to do something relatively easy. I don’t have the time or talent to individually sew sequins on the dress, so I’m looking for a sequined fabric in a color that matches, which I can wrap around and sew to the bodice to cover the current fabric and missing sequins. I think I’ve found one on Etsy that will work well. Once I have that figured out, and the shoes, headband and everything else finished up, I will post another update!
My current plan is to debut the new & improved version of this costume at Dragon*Con in Atlanta in September, so stay tuned for more photos & all the updates afterward! If you will be at Dragon*Con, I’d love to say hi! Leave me a comment or send a message!